The Grill - Cheap and Tasty

By Cruising With Honey - 20:51

-->

Everyone has a Go To Dish (GTD) they will order at their favourite eatery. 

If you’re anything like me, sometimes you can get a little overwhelmed by the menu, afraid If you order something different you’ll be disappointed, or you don’t want to think and just want to feed your belly.

Invariably my GTD is pizza, my husband’s is burgers.  I like my pizza LOADED with topping, but please no anchovies. A whiff of just one hairy little putrid fish, and the pizza is ruined. The end, go bury it at the back. The husband likes his burgers meaty and eggy. Leave the fancy brioche for the hipsters, he likes a good ol’ fashioned run-down-your-fingers-pattie-juice stacked burger.

While there are heaps of dining options aboard the Eden, we actually missed dinner a couple of times. Now, don’t let your minds wander off, it’s not as saucy as you think (remember, kids wouldn’t leave us alone). I overslept one afternoon due to mixing sea-sickness tablets with a cocktail and the other time I was on the Blackjack table. Only joking, I only played Blackjack once every one was in bed. Anyway, as the Pantry closes around 10pm(ish), the only other options were Room Service or The Grill. 

I'm not a fan of eating in bed, so grabbing a bite on the open deck was a nice treat. It's not like you can do that everyday.

Located on Deck 11 – Lido Deck – tucked at the back of the pool area (pretty much on the opposite end to the entry of the Pantry) is The Grill. I believe this is a feature on all P&O ships, but I don’t think I saw it in 2014 on the Jewel. There’s a guy standing there ready to take your order and a couple of blackboards with the menu written on them.  There’s nachos, pizza, pies, hotdogs, bacon and egg rolls and burgers – also I think buckets of prawns. When we first walked past the window, I saw ‘pizza’ and hubby saw ‘burger’ and you could almost hear the “ding ding ding” but resisted for a few days. Once we tried the offerings, we were very pleased indeed.

The prices! For what you got, it was SUPER cheap and the servings VERY generous.

Pies, hotdogs, bacon and egg rolls and burgers - $3

Nachos $7

Pizzas $9.50

Pies – Kinda like a Harry Café de Wheels – complete with mash, peas, gravy. The filling was succulent and the crust nice and crispy. 8/10

Hot Dog – Very long, soft bun and tasty toppings (cabbage, cheese, sauce). 7/10

Bacon and Egg  Roll – Very tasty, not oily, satisfying. It was served on a large English muffin. 7/10

Burger – Huge, tasty, moist, very delicious. Cheese, pickles, onion.  Proportion of meat to bun was perfect. I’d say 9/10

Nachos – Pretty average, but hard to get through a serving 6/10

Pizza – Aussie, Hawaiian and Pepperoni. We tried all three and can say they aren’t the best I’ve had, but not the worst. Nice crust, although a little dry. Toppings could be more generous. 5/10

The Grill is a great option if you want a GTD. If you are peckish in the middle of the night or nothing at the Pantry tickles your fancy, fork over three bucks and get a burger that’ll make your tastebuds happy. I know some people don't want to pay for food when the Pantry and (most) restaurants are free, but if you want some variety or can't stand the food on the rest of the ship, a couple of dollars at The Grill will be well spent. Trust me.

P.S If you are traveling with teenagers, The Grill is kinda a late night meeting hub. Many a night I saw a group of youngthings sharing a pizza and a few flirtatious glances.

Sigh, youth is wasted on the young.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments