P&O

Just call me Enya...

By Cruising With Honey - 23:14




When I left you last, I had just accosted Captain Lorenzo. 

While I sincerely hoped I would see him once again over the next three days, unfortunately, we did not cross paths again. Maybe one day I'll have a drink with him. Sigh.

Anyway, it was nearing departure time and it was time for Muster. The announcement over the loud speaker of seven short blasts followed by one long blast - the Emergency Signal - was given and we headed to our cabins to get our life jackets. Yes, it's boring. No-one wants to do it. For sure the crew are over it, BUT it's only 20mins and you can take selfies. See Exhibit A (with photo bombers) and Exhibit B 


Exhibit A - Photo bombers
Exhibit B
One thing I will say about the Muster on the Pearl is that we were comfortably seated in the Marquee theatre and not squished like sardines with people breathing on me out on the deck (as I experienced aboard the Jewel, Eden and the Spirit). The same old jokes were told whenever the crew demonstrator heard someone blow the whistle, "These whistles have never been washed", and before we knew it, Muster was over.

Soon enough we were traipsing like wild buffalo to the top deck to bade Sydney goodbye and start our Bad Mum weekend. I feel a little like a broken down record, but I will say it again: I will never, ever tire of Sydney Harbour. I may not have traveled much outside of Australia, but being born in Sydney and having lived on the lower north shore most of my life, the Harbour is a part of me, a part of my story. I love the colours, the landmarks, the untamed beauty and the wonder of creation. I try to imagine what our Indigenous brother and sisters were witness to for time immemorial, gazing and hunting in this wondrous beauty. And I wonder if eyes like mine will drink in the same view once my body has become dust and returned to the Earth once more. I am reminded how lucky I am to be in this place - right here, right now - to not only be an onlooker, but a participant in this incredible life.

As the Pearl slowly pulled away, people crammed the sides of the deck to take the picture-perfect shot of the iconic Bridge and Opera House. I'm not sure if I mentioned, but this particular cruise was a themed one, a Blues Cruise. There was a live band, drinks flowing and a general, joyous buzz. Oh yes, this was going to be one heck of a weekend!

Armed with my selfie stick, I took a zillion photos of my girlfriends and I, and watched land slowly slip away. Yes, we broke out in song, "Sail away, Sail away, Sail away..." and then cracked up laughing. Who doesn't love Enya? All around us, people were smiling, laughing, talking... it was one of the best Sail Away parties ever - and I've been on seven cruises now. P&O excel at the Sail Away party and it really sets the tone for the voyage. Without ruining the rest of the future blogs posts, I will mention here that we met some INCREDIBLE people in a very short amount of time, and the crowd on the cruise you end up on, really does make the difference between a good trip and an unforgettable one.

Bad Mums and some photo bombers
Smiles all round







With the Sydney Heads well and truly behind us, we decided to head back to our cabin and get all dolled up for dinner. Not only did we have a lovely meal to look forward to that someone else will cook, serve up AND clear away, but we were ready to dance the night away at the Bianco Party.



Bring it on!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments