She deserves a standing Ovation - The Tour

By Cruising With Honey - 14:56

Royal Caribbean - Ovation of the Seas

I'm not used to luxury.

For me, the finer things in life include my personal T2 paisley teapot, my five bass guitars and obviously my Prince vinyl collection. I'm as happy to shop at Kmart as I am to pick up my favourite makeup at Priceline - I've always said you don't need to spend a million bucks to look like a million bucks. Labels are for tinned food.

Which brings me to the bucks. (Nice segue, Honey). Ovation is worth a BILLION bucks. Yes, that is a BILLION with a B. For an every-day, run of the mill Mumma like me, it is almost unimaginable to fathom what a BILLION dollars can buy. Don't get me wrong, we live comfortably in one of the most expensive cities in the world and I wouldn't change a thing about my lifestyle (well, maybe more cruises), but a billion dollars is a heck of a lot of money.

I ended my last post marvelling as I stepped aboard Ovation. While I haven't been to Dubai, I imagined this it what it would be like to step into one of the city's mega malls. Opulent, extravagant, modern. I didn't know where to look, afraid I'd miss out on something - all of this isn't something I can absorb on a mini-tour.

Armed with my IPhone, I thought not only can I Livestream the tour for those who can't be with me, but later on, in the privacy of me home, review the footage at my leisure. (You can check out the vids I took here)  Our group was made up of various media types - and to my surprise two former, wonderful colleagues. Some in our group has already experienced a cruise aboard this treasure so were happy to walk around alone, but I decided to stick with our fabulous tour guide Cameron Mannix.





After a brief introduction, our first stop was the Bionic Bar on Deck 5 Oh. My. Word. It was something out of Star Trek ("Early Grey, Hot."). You use an IPad to select your cocktail and two robot 'bartenders' add the alcohol, ingredients, muddle, shake and then deliver your drink in 60 seconds. It's really space-age stuff and very entertaining. Trawling through the comments on numerous Facebook cruising groups, there was a resounding opinion that:

a) it was too impersonal and

b) robots can't detect intoxication.

I suppose my response to that is there are many flesh'n'bones bartenders to spill your guts to and also, you'd be hard pressed to use the IPads successfully if you were sloshed. I didn't get to try it, but it looks fun and a great talking point.

Next we were ushered past the Japanese restaurant Izumi - lots of red decor - and downstairs to Deck 4. Here there are some pretty swanky shops, Swarovski, Michael Kors, Kate Spade and one called Bling.  I didn't get the opportunity to go into any of these shops - and my first thought was I wouldn't be able to afford anything in any of them anyway so why tease myself? (P.S I do have a few Swarovski pieces, including a much loved blingy pen #penaddict). Check out the deck plans for a more comprehensive description.

We were whisked very quickly into the Music Hall which was very funky and had POOL TABLES! Yes, I can see myself spending hours here hustling. Looking at me you would be forgiven if you assumed I couldn't even hold a cue, but I'm actually a shark! After a brief look around, Cameron took us up to Deck 15 to be immersed in the adults only area complete with infinity pools and oodles of comfy lounges. Encased in a glass ceiling, I now know what it feels like to be a hothouse flower in a green house! It all looked VERY relaxing and exclusive. Sigh.





We were taken to the main pool area where the North Star towers above the giant screen and sun-lovers frolic in the huge pool. Apparently, the London Eye-esque 'ride' rises 92m up and gives you a spectacular view. I dunno, it looks scary to me, like a mechanical cyclops eager to munch you up and spit you out into the watery depths.

Adjacent to the main pool is the kiddies area which looked super fun! My kids are a little old for this, but still it was colourful and full of slides and other pool paraphernalia. My favourite feature was the kid-sized sun lounges - totally adorbs.




Rush, rush, rush our tour took us back inside and up another level. It's here, at SeaPlex that my eyes truly popped out of my head.  An adventure wonderland for any child, or child-at-heart (That's me!) A huge roller rink that converts to a bumper car amusement, giant X-Box, music, basketball, arcade games and lots of possiblly epilepsy-inducing neon light. I have arrived! Immediately I was transported to a scene straight out of my wildest dreams. That's me spinning around on my roller skates, big hair, frosted eye shadow, jumpsuit, mirror ball, and music. Loud, cheesy, 80s music! Errrr... wait, that's Xanadu.



If I ever get the chance to cruise on Ovation, I will spend at least 5 hours of every, single day here. Skating, bumpering, eating hot dogs and pretending I'm the leading lady in the most light-fantastic, hyperactive film to ever be made.

(A hot dog food truck and an amazing soda machine are located at the back of SeaPlex.)

I truly didn't want to leave, but the tour must go on. While the drizzle was getting heavier, and I'd spent an hour straightening my curls, I couldn't miss out on the two other fun features. Outside on Deck 16 stands FlowRider - a place where you can kinda surf and stack (There's a similar one at my local pools). I don't think I'd ever try this as I'd most probably break a few bones or get a concussion or both.
Climbing up anther small flight of stairs we were presented with a very cool contraption. It's called RipCord by IFly and you can experience skydiving without jumping out of a plane.



It reminded me of one of my favourite scenes from my favourite movie, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'. Remember the scene when Augustus Gloop falls into the chocolate river and is sucked up into a clear tube? Well, it's kinda like that, however you don't get stuck (well, maybe my rotund body would) and there aren't any Oompa Loompas to sing you a warning song. The subject basically flies propelled by gusts of air. Pretty cool, right?

Back inside and we end up back on a great glass elevator and down to Deck 5. We'd basically come back full circle to where we started, but were now headed in the opposite direction, Aft. Cameron was leading us to Cafe 270 where the party was being held, but first we got a little peak past Jamie's Italian, a few more shops (Cartier), Vintages wine bar and then to where we were about to be wined and dined.






As a big fan of Jamie Oliver, I'd love to be able to review the eatery, but for now, here are a few pics. I love the casual atmosphere, great colour scheme and as always with Mr Oliver, an emphasis on the freshest and best produce. The menu looks delicious! Apparently, the pasta is made fresh daily.




So, what did I think? I'm guessing I only saw 1/10th, or less, of what Ovation has to offer. My next thought was that I'd need a week to truly appreciate and experience every eatery, bar, show and feature on this mammoth ship. The tour was, I guess, the highlights, and I'm grateful to have been invited. But, it was hard to soak it all in. I'd especially love to see inside the cabins, the theatres and all the eateries.

In a nutshell, I didn't feel like I was on a cruise ship. You could go all day and not even venture out on the decks and still be thoroughly entertained. If shopping is your thing, then you're in heaven. However, the shops seem way out of my budget - it would take some saving to take my whole family aboard, leaving not much for spending money. The food options look INCREDIBLE, and if you follow my blog, you know how much I love my food. I'm not sure if sensory overload is the correct description, but there is SO much to see, taste, drink, do. Royal Caribbean have created their own world, a floating resort, mall, apartment complex, suburb! It truly is incredible.

Summing the ship in only one word is too hard, so for now, I think I'll just give her a standing ovation.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments