Four wheels of fun - Moreton Island Part 2

By Cruising With Honey - 14:09


Doing anything SLOWLY is not in my vocabulary. I walk fast, eat fast and talk fast.

This mantra I live by vanished as soon I climbed aboard that hot, powerful, throbbing machine. I actually froze.

Now I know how to drive and have driven for 25 years, but I’ve never ridden a quad bike, and especially not on Moreton Island. To say it was daunting was an understatement, but I gritted my teeth and thought, ‘how hard could this be?’

Bounding up to sit behind me, little miss was thoroughly excited, a little upset she couldn’t ride one solo, but due to age restrictions she was stuck behind mum on a tandem. Bigger and with a 4WD function, I really didn’t think it would be all that hard to master. All I had to do was press the throttle and make sure Hope didn’t fall off the back. Yep, I overestimated my skills, coordination and sense of direction.

Wearing very attractive hairnets under our helmets, our group was first instructed how to brake. Everyone followed single file onto the beach to test the braking and maneuverability. The awesome instructors instilled confidence in all the riders, telling us to raise our hands if we got into trouble. So, everyone rolled forward, did a stop and turned their quad bike successfully. Except me. Somehow I ended up nearly tipping the bike into the water. My hand shot up, my daughter was mortified and I pretty much resigned myself to the fact that the tour guides would kick me off for safety reasons. Except they didn’t. Patiently, Russell (God bless him) calmed me down, reassured me that I could do this and that we could go at our own pace. I felt like that kid who needs help at the Dodgem Cars, but I had to do this for Hope. Be brave Honey.



As the other riders zoomed past, we brought up the rear. Look, I’m not sure how fast these things go, but as I gripped those handle bars and tried to gently press that throttle, I managed to look at the dashboard. I was going 4km/hr. Yes, F O U R. Hope could not only walk faster, but crawl faster than my top speed. Heck, little old ladies on their zimmer frames clock up speeds of at last 8km/hr. Regardless, dear Russell kept encouraging me and reminding me to press that throttle gently and without too much pressure. I bunny-hopped our way off the beach to the amusement of every single person on that island.

So after what seemed like a lifetime, we made it up the driveway and now were off-road. By this time the others in our tour had lapped us and Russell thought it would be wise to take us on our own (abridged) tour.  Suddenly, I was getting it, smoothly depressing that throttle and building up speed. Yippee, I was now travelling at 12km/hr. Feeling a lot more relaxed, I started looking around, enjoying this adventure. As my speed increased, my apologies to Hope for being a terrible scaredy cat decreased. At this point, I have to share a truly profound moment. As we neared the summit, my darling daughter’s voice broke through my negative inner voices. “You’re doing great mum! You know, sometimes you have to take risks in life. You’re doing this now. You’re amazing.” Who knew such a little kid could be so wise? Steeled with these words, I pushed myself to go a little faster. I was now travelling at 14km/hr.



At what I’m guessing was the half-way mark, Russell gave us the signal to stop. It was at this moment I could really appreciate the beauty of Moreton Island. From this vantage point, the multiple-blue-shaded waters were glittering. The Pacific Jewel bobbed in the distance, floating all white and gleaming in the ocean. Tropical trees stood tall against nature, exuding the majesty of creation. And against this backdrop, my gorgeous girl was beaming, declaring this was the “best ever”. My heart nearly burst.

After posing for the obligatory selfie, we continued into the sand hills. Now, I was even more confident than ever, turning my quad around the curves and mini dunes. I even reached a top speed of 24km/hr! Hope was in heaven, giggling and bounding with each feat mummy attempted, having the time of her life.

Soon enough, we were guided down a bushy slope and onto the beach. Slowing down to 2km/hr down, we were treated with another breathtaking view of the beach. This was fun! Being on flat sand I could really let loose. 

I’m not really sure how long we had been on the quad bike tour, but it was time to head back. I’m guessing all of the other people on our tour had already returned back to base, but we travelled at our own pace with the ever-patient Russell supporting me.

Russell! Quad bike instructor extraordinaire

Climbing off that quad bike I was overcome with a great sense of achievement. I did it! My kid sees me as a hero and best of all didn’t crash once. With the endorphins rushing through my veins, I promised this would not be the last time for me on a quad. Even if wanted it to be, Miss Hope had already picked out the quad she was going to ride solo the next time. And how could I possibly crush her dream?




For Part 1 of my Moreton Island adventure, click here 

For more information about the tours on Moreton Island, click here 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments