P&O

Melissa Yates – a Jewel of a Hotel Director

By Cruising With Honey - 18:22


It wasn’t so much the dazzling whites of her uniform that made the biggest impact on me, but rather her impeccable demeanour that left a lasting impression. 

Now, it isn’t customary for crew to be interviewed; however an exception was made while I was aboard the Pacific Jewel to speak with the Hotel Director. Knowing just how busy this position is, I felt rather guilty taking up precious time, however my fears were allayed once I was ushered into Melissa Yates' office.

Having interviewed hundreds of people from all walks of life during my career, I’m a pretty good judge of character. Almost as an automatic reflex, I can read people well enough to start a conversation that’s comfortable. Sometimes it’s harder to build an instant rapport, but in this instance, it was a breeze.

You know those people who give off an air of confidence, but without the arrogance? That special blend of assured calm and yet dependability when the going gets tough? And, a genuine congeniality without a smidge of insincerity. Yup, that’s Melissa Yates.

To be honest, I had no idea the extent of the Hotel Director’s role, so I was keen to dive right in.  Melissa kindly obliged, and let me into the fascinating world of working at the heart of a cruise ship. 

How long have you worked at sea? 

I’ve been working on cruise ships for the last 13 years – first at Princess. I started at P&O in 2008. 

Where do you call home? 

Yorkshire. It’s where I started working in travel as a cruise consultant. I just fell in love with cruising. 

How did your parents react when you told them you wanted to work at sea? 

My father was thrilled! He was a sea captain and very proud. My mum wasn’t too pleased as she would miss me too much. It’s a long time at sea. 

Do you have any other family who work on cruise ships? 

Yes. I met my husband on a cruise ship, he also works for P&O in security. 

Could you describe a typical day on the job? 

I start my day at about 6:30am with a walk around the decks. I really enjoy meeting passengers who are also up early, taking a walk. It’s just lovely seeing people enjoying themselves. Next stop is breakfast – checking that everything is running smoothly. 

So you’ve walked around the ship to make sure everything is ship-shape, then what? 

Next I have a meeting with the Food and Beverage team, ensure all eateries are supported and repeat the breakfast process at lunch and dinner up at the Pantry, walking around, talking to passengers and staff. I end my shift  the way I started it, by walking the decks. 

It sounds like you’re very hands-on and that there isn’t much that goes on that you’re not aware of. 

I enjoy getting to know the staff as much as the passengers. Working well with the officers and the crew in all areas ­– entertainment, food and beverage, activities, reception, housekeeping – ensures the passengers enjoy their cruise. 

Do you have much involvement with the Captain? 

While all officers’ cabins are in the same area, I don’t have much to do with engineering.  However the Captain and I do have a daily meeting. 

It seems like you’re never really off duty? 

Well not really. But I love what I do and wouldn’t have it any other way. We are rostered on for 13 hour-shifts. I start at 9am so I’m pretty much working all day. 

Spending that much time with crew, you’re bound to build some great friendships. 

We are at sea for a long time – usually 6 to 9 month contractsso it can be difficult being away from family and friends. I enjoy getting to know the crew and we organise many activities for the crew to get together and have time off. We even have our entertainment team put on shows for our crew.

So I assume that the worst part of your job is being away from home? 

Yes, it can be hard being away for so long, but we also get 2 months off to spend time with our loved ones. 

And the best part of the job? 

The passengers. You get to meet the most colourful characters and make great friendships. It’s such a great feeling playing a part in people’s holidays, making sure they have a great time. 

Do you have a favourite port? 

I just loved cruising into Venice, but they've stopped cruise ships going there now.
But, my all time favourite is Sydney. It’s so dramatic. 

You must have some great stories to tell. Can you share a funny anecdote? 

Yes, there have been some interesting experiences – but I probably can’t share them! We do get some funny questions though. For instance, “Do the lifts go up and down?” 

What are the biggest misconceptions about cruising? 

I’d say one is that people believe that most will get sea-sick. Yes, it does happen, but not as often as people think, and it is easily remedied. 

Are there any vital bits of information you’d like P&O passengers to know? 

Firstly that you can begin using your cruise card straight away – even if you haven’t loaded any money or a credit card onto it. You can use your card for the first 24 hours before having to add money.

Secondly, you don’t need to attend reception to manage your account. The new cash kiosks are easy and fast – and no lines!

Thirdly, read your Goodtimes (free newsletter delivered to your room every night). You’ll find all the information you need in that to get the most out of your cruise. And, download the What’sOn App. 

I know some passengers are still getting used to the Pantry. How do you think it measures up against the traditional buffet? 

I love the Pantry. There are no long lines and you’re not pressured like at a buffet to pile food on your plate. With the Pantry you can take your time and choose a little or as much as you like. 

And finally, what’s the best piece of advice you would give to passengers? 

Just enjoy yourself. Don’t be afraid to ask for something, we are here to make sure you have a wonderful time. 


Thank you Melissa for your time and your warm hospitality, ensuring my daughter and I were taken care of during our cruise. 




  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments