More Salt please - but hold the pepper

By Cruising With Honey - 22:17


Before indulging at Luke Mangan’s signature Salt grill aboard P&O cruises, every prospective diner needs to be given this warning. 


“Please wear your (most elegant) stretchy pants.”

Now don’t say I didn’t warn you when you’re struggling to eat that last delectable mouthful of dessert and your skinny jeans are barely holding together. 

Salt Tip 1: Wear the stretchy pants/skirt.


 


As a Salt grill veteran, I must admit I did a little jig when I saw the invite card on my cabin door.  While I never miss an opportunity to dine at Salt when at sea, I didn’t think it was appropriate to take Miss 10 to dine there this cruise. But, it would be downright rude to turn down the invite, and anyway, I fear my tastebuds would go on strike for the remainder of the cruise if I dared refuse.

After spending the day adventuring on Moreton Island, Little Miss and I dressed up in our most formal kit and, with sun-tinged smiley faces, proceeded to Deck 12.


My apprehension about bringing Hope to dinner dissolved immediately. We were greeted in dulcet tones and ushered to a table for two.

In the dimly lit room, wait staff seemed to glide creating a sophisticated and soothing environment. For the first time in 12 hours, I could stop, breathe and enjoy. 

Salt Tip Two: Do not fill up on the deliciously, beckoning, warm freshly baked bread. Even our gorgeous server Kylie cautioned us not to fill up on the tempting dough.  As I reached for my second slice, Hope rapped my knuckles – then proceeded to fake-feed her furry dinner companions, Duke and Brutus.




My last Salt meal was aboard the Pacific Pearl in November, and so while I was well versed on the menu, there had been a slight overhaul of the menu. And, let me tell you, the new additions are simply divine.

Since declaring herself a full-time vegetarian in October, Hope insisted that as she was dining at Salt, she would allow herself to eat seafood. “Pescatarian tonight mummy, and ONLY for tonight.” Yes boss.





Scanning the menu, she chose the Grilled arrow squid with lemon aioli, apples, pickled celery and dried black olive entrée. As the pretty dish was set before her, she wrinkled her nose at the “black stuff” assuming it was black pepper, the only thing she actually hates. On closer inspection, and a taste test, she discovered it was dried black olive and proceeded to devour the entire serving in a minutes. In between mouthfuls, she’d exclaim, “This is so tender, so tender… (nom, nom) tender” barely pausing for air.



While marveling at her sophisticated palate and delighting in her reaction, a stunning plate was set before me. A trio of the finest agnolotti decorated with soft herbs and sitting on a puree of sunshine beckoned me to dig in. Pleasantly, the lobster filling was truly flavoursome and the sauce vierge (olive oil, lemon juice, chopped tomato and chopped basil) added a pleasant slippery mouth-feel. Buyer’s remorse soon hit me when I finished those three perfect pasta portions as I wished I’d ordered this for my main.



Salt Tip 3: You can order the agnolotti or the gnocchi entrees as a main.

Which is exactly what Hope ordered – a main sized gnocchi. Having been inducted in the Secret Society of Salt Secrets, i.e eaten my weight in these heavenly pillows, I recommended (insisted) that my cherub have the gnocchi for her main course.





With the steaming plate before her, she speared a singular morsel and popped it in her mouth. Silence. I waited for her reaction, but she sat with eyes closed, slowly chewing. Finally, impatiently I inquired, “Well?”


“Mum, this is the best thing I have ever eaten.” Once again, without much chatter, my little eating machine did the best she could to wolf down as many as her tummy could handle. 

While the mound of gnocchi decreased in size, I started on my super-tender 200g tenderloin accompanied by truffled mash potatoes and crushed mint peas.



Ahh, Hope... would you like to try some mash potatoes? It has truffle oil on it, I’m not sure if you’d like it?”

At the words “mashed potato” my offspring’s eyes were suddenly lit with what seemed like the fluorescence of a spotlight. You see, other than mangos, Hope’s favourite thing to eat in the whole wide world is mashed potato. Now, I’d give this child my last breath, but when it comes to Luke Mangan’s truffled mash, I wanted this bowl all to myself.

“Aren’t you full darling? There’s still half a plate of gnocchi left – and that’s also made from potato,” I offered.

“I’ll just have a taste mum, one little mouthful.”
And that, my dear friends, are the famous last words.

What happened next was quite extraordinary. As soon as she tasted the first spoonful of truffle oil laden mash, I knew I had created a monster.


“This, this, WHAT is this? What are truffles? Mum, we have to have truffle oil on EVERYTHING, EVERY DAY!” 

I had indeed created a monster. A chubby little, potato-loving, truffle-guzzling monster. I shouldn’t be surprised; the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

Forgetting the gnocchi, she proceeded to pick up the bowl, sit back in her chair and devour the entire contents, alone.


It was quite impressive to witness actually, even though rather indulgent. But it was her birthday and it would be an experience she will never forget.

As our empty plates were cleared, and Hope started falling quickly into a mash-induced coma, it was now time for us to depart.  We both politely told the restaurant manager Grizaldy ‘Grizzy’ Gamboa – one of the most generous, warm and hospitality professionals I have ever met – we couldn't possibly eat another mouthful, but he insisted we have our dessert.


Grizzy suggested Hope have the Strawberry cheesecake, which she adored. The freeze-dried strawberries and playful popping candy were a hit – even though she could only muster a few mouthfuls.



I decided to have a dessert I hadn’t tried before, which was also a new addition on the menu: Calvados Custard with botrytis semillon apple, brown butter crumble and vanilla ice-cream. Forget everything you think you know about custard and crumble, this dessert somehow transforms a seemingly simple, familiar dessert into an extravaganza of textures nuanced with the sweet fruit and refined digestive. Creamy, crunchy and crisp – the elements created a delightful musical edible medley.  




As we wiped our mouths on our napkins and waddled down to our cabin, I was once again grateful for another fabulous Salt grill experience. Tucking my tuckered-out daughter into bed, I wondered if she would one day look back on this special night and remember the fancy dinner she shared with her mummy. And, maybe one day, far in the distant future, she might also share a special, fancy dinner with her own little girl.


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments