#CaptainGate III

By Cruising With Honey - 12:33


STOP THE PRESS! I have the third and final chapter on #CaptainGate.


If you haven't read Parts I and II, I highly recommend you do that first. Go on, click HERE and HERE now. What are you waiting for?

Last week, I was invited for a walk-around the Pacific Eden. While I was excited to be back on the beautiful girl, my first thought was, "I have to meet the Captain!" Not just to quench my insatiable curiosity, but my readers needed to know!

As we made our way up to the Bridge (I was loitering at the back of the group), a door opened to my right. I turned my head and he was standing right there. Yes, Captain Tony Herriott was there in the flesh, in the doorway, close enough that our noses were nearly touching.

Being uber cool, I almost nonchalantly said "hello". Who am I kidding? I am not cool and never nonchalant, and I think I kinda scared the Captain to be honest. I thrust my hand and grabbed his to shake it, pumping it up and down introducing myself while grinning like a deranged Muppet.

While I was far from composed, Captain Herriott was as cool as the gleaming whites he was wearing. I must admit, I felt a little in awe. He exuded a very confident energy, not completely reserved, but he had an air of seriousness about him and you could just tell nothing would rattle his epaulettes (no, I didn't just swear). I suppose that's why HE is the Captain. 

Anyway, the group I was with were greeted on the Bridge by the Second and Third officers who were super friendly and shared some interesting information. I was half listening, but all I really wanted to do was get to the bottom of #CaptainGate.

My opportunity came up. "Does anyone want to ask the Captain a question?" My hand shot up like red poker and I started my very inarticulate spiel. 

"Uumm, I was on the Christmas Cruise...."

"I can reveal to you that it was me on the zipline," he said steadily.

At this stage, it hit me that the Captain had read my blog. He was looking straight at me. I couldn't break eye-contact and a little wave of panic zig-zagged through me. Was he upset with me? I nervously chuckled.

"Ohh it was you? You ziplined in the Santa costume? It wasn't a stunt double? Ohh cool........". 

I looked up again, and I felt his steely gaze was sizing me up. So, I pulled myself together and thought it was now or never. Ask  - but don't interrogate - and find out why we didn't see him during the cruise and if in fact he was aboard.

"So, uh, you were aboard? Lots of passengers were wondering if you were as we didn't see you, and some even wondered if it was a recorded messaged on the PA, " I ventured

The Captain assured us that he was indeed on board and that he was attending to ship business. Being a Captain is busy work. That's the official statement, and I accept his explanation. And that's that.

Now, in not so many words, I deduced that seeings that the Captain is the most important person on the ship, and Red Alert was announced, that it makes sense that the Captain stays healthy - i.e not mingle with potential germ-ridden passengers and stay out of public areas where norovirus bugs were lurking. As a passenger, I want to feel reassured the Captain is healthy and at his best. After all, he is responsible for thousands of lives. We may not have seen him around the Eden, but Captain Tony Herriott was working  behind the scenes to ensure the safety of both the crew and passengers. I thank you.

I still wanted to let the Captain know I meant no disrespect with my blog posts and asked him if I had offended him. Warmly he reassured me that he was not offended and that my blog gave him a chuckle. 


It seems Captain Herriott has the same sense of humour as me! What an awesome guy.

P.S He graciously posed for some photos while I was trying really hard not to crack up laughing - at myself! 

P.P.S I'm not sure why I'm pointing so much. Weirdo










 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments