P&O

A couple of single beds and a whole lotta fun

By Cruising With Honey - 13:30

 


P&O Cruises Australia


Pacific Jewel


It's the simple things in life that I took for granted before I was a mum that I'm reminded of when I cruise.

The very first being SLEEP.

Listen, I'm no mummy-blogger (labels are for tinned food) so I won't bore you with how I lost myself when my first name was replaced with a very annoying vocalisation akin to a bleating goat. (Could this be the reason they call them kids?) What I lost more than anything was precious kip.



However, when I cruise, one of my most favourite perks is that I get a WHOLE bed to myself for the WHOLE night for the WHOLE voyage. The second most favourite perk is that the rocking motion + sea sickness tablets not only lull my precious angels to a delightful doze, but also send me to the Land of Nod for blissful slumber. 

Hand on heart, the best nights sleep I have ever had are aboard cruise ships.

It was with great delight that when I opened my cabin door on level 10 (I was a bit apprehensive being so high up and aft) to see two perfect single beds not pushed together.  Now Miss 10 is a terrible solo sleeper and has slept in my bed for approximately 99% of her life. No matter how many times I have tried, I still wake up with her sweaty palms on my face and pointy knees wedged in my back.


(Cabin doors open) "Eeek I have my own bed! I get this one!" 

Miss Hope screeches and literally leaps on one bed, clutching Duke and Brutus (you will hear more about these toys) and summarily falls asleep. FOR 15 HOURS. 


15 FREAKING HOURS

Luckily we hadn't even ventured to our cabin before sailaway or we would have missed out on YMCA and a quick lunch at the Pantry. (I will write a separate post about all the dining options aboard the Jewel).



I've written about sailaway aboard P&O cruise ships before - and I know I'm repeating myself - but no-one does a sailaway like P&O. There's always music, fun and an infectious party vibe. 

After a very quick look around the Jewel, we positioned ourselves on the top deck, wedging ourselves between selfie-sticks and Iphones to watch Sydney Harbour grow more and more distant. Every single time I'm on a cruise, at this very moment, I get an overwhelming feeling of butterflies and serenity as I bade goodbye to all the troubles of the world.



After what seemed like seconds, land disappeared and we headed to our cabin to unpack and get ready for dinner. Except while unpacking happened, dinner didn't. 

I promise I only gave her half a tablet of Avomine - it must have had a really strong effect on her though as she slept through me checking out every nook and cranny of our cabin and taking copious selfies in the fluffy bathrobe.


Fake sleeping

Which leads me what our cabin actually looked like.

I had initially booked an obstructed view cabin on Deck 8, however the upgrade fairy waved her magic wand and we were moved to Deck 10, oceanview, pretty much right at the back. The plus side to this was that I was only a few steps away from the door leading to the Oasis. The negative side to this was that I could NOT use Oasis as I had an under-18 with me. Having said that, we did walk briskly through Oasis and up the two flights of stairs to the Pantry.


My biggest worry was that we'd feel lots of movement on Deck 10, but honestly, even with my weak stomach, it was absolutely fine.

The room was bright, clean, spacious enough and had LOADS of drawers. Wardrobe had enough hangers and there's a TV, fridge, safe, chair, arm chair, vanity and bedside tables. Beds were comfy - however don't be afraid to ask for extra doonas and pillows if you need them.

Sharing a house with three daughters and a husband and only having ONE bathroom, it was so nice to have my own little bathroom. I  spread out all my cosmetics and toiletries and had all the mirrors to myself ('vanity thy name'). Yes, ship bathrooms in regular cabins are small, but you just make do. Here's a tip, in the shower, there's a clothesline you can pull out from the wall. Very handy for drying wet togs.


Look, it's not luxury accommodation - and the rooms do look a little dated and tired - but the stewards do a phenomenal job keeping it clean, tidy and provide a constant supply of fluffy towels and, lucky for me, plates of treats.
  
 
Since sleeping beauty was still gently snoring - I did hold a mirror under her nose to ensure she was still breathing - I had the opportunity to watch TV, read the Goodtimes (ship newsletter), go through the room service menu and flip though the magazines. And take multiple 'fake sleep' selfies.

And then, as I had no-one to talk to and had grown tired of answering my own questions, I fell asleep dreaming about being waited on for breakfast in a few hours.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments